School of Nursing and Midwifery:
An Introduction to the School of Nursing and Midwifery
Dezful University of Medical Sciences was launched in 1386 (2007) with the foundation of the faculty of Emergency Medical Services (EMS). In 1388 (2009), the contemporary authorities of the faculty of EMS made their best efforts to transform this faculty to the School of Medicine. By this time, the permission of admittance and education of students in three fields of nursing, laboratory sciences, and surgical technology anesthesia was granted by the ministry of hygiene, treatment, and medical education. In 1389 (2010), the nursing department was approved officially. By this time, the faculty began to function under the supervision of the Jundishapoor Medical Sciences University of Ahwaz. In addition, 104 students were admitted in this unit; however, eventually the permission of the establishment of faculty of medical sciences was granted in 1391 (2012) by the contemporary minister of hygiene, treatment, and medical education. Since then faculty of medical sciences officially began to act independently of Jundishapoor Medical Sciences University of Ahwaz. Up next in 1392 (2013), Dezful Faculty of Medical Sciences was promoted to the Dezful University of Medical Sciences which encompasses medical, paramedical, and nursing faculties so far. Moreover, the indirect B.S in medical emergencies was launched in nursing department in 1393 (2014). Since 1394 (2015), nursing students are being admitted in two entrance group turns. It should also be mentioned that the nursing department is the approved department in this university.
The Status in quo
The educational space of this university is situated in Kooie Azadegan district and is constructed by charity supportes in Dezful. The whole space is 2000 square meter which encompasses four two-floor buildings. The central building has two floors and is as large as 1870 square meters. The administrative building is a two-floor building with an area of 1750 square meters. Library, laboratories complex, amphitheater, praying hall, self-service saloon, and classes cover an area of 2450 square meters. The area of university campus is 42 hectares. The ground plan of the campus has been devised. The needed financial credits for the campus construction are enabled by the ministry of hygiene and treatment. In fact, the campus is currently being constructed. The parts which have already been constructed by the charity supporter, Mr. Moatamed, are:
1. University mosque which has been exploited in1396 (2017).
2. The building of the medical school which has been under the construction since one and a half year ago
3. The center of clinical skills which is being passed its stages of ground planning and surveying
Objectives determine the philosophy and the orientation of the organization and include aims, main responsibilities, and ethics.
Future perspective paves the way to meet the assigned objectives and can motivate the organization members as well as their clients.
The Assigned Mission
Strategic planning is a procedure whereby all issues are considered so that agreeable alternatives in decision making can be made. The employed alternatives then are constantly evaluated. It should be noted that any strategic procedure is worthy as long as all decision makers think and act strategically. Strategic planning is not an aim itself; however, it encompasses a group of conceptions to enable the authorities and managers with better options. It can be claimed that if an organization members get used to strategic thinking and acting, the procedure can be put aside.
The educational spaces of School of Nursery and Midwifery
The Main Assigned Duties for the Faculty
· Promotion and assessment of students’ pedagogy in scientific and academic milieus in accordance with Islamic values, medical ethics, and professional etiquette
· Making students aware of their social rights and responsibilities and utilizing the capacities of health attention environments for the growth of Islamic spirituality and morality in society with the priority of prevention
· Updating the health and treatment plans
· Reduction of health threatening risks and contaminators in parallel with credible scientific sources
· Production of health attachment for developmental plans
· Promotion of health index for better accomplishments
· Reformation and improvement systems of observation, supervision, and assessment to preserve people and patients’ rights and accurate execution of general policies
· Promotion of mental health in society by extending Islamic-Iranian lifestyle, fortification of family foundation, elimination of tension-provoking inhibitions in individual and social life, dissemination of moral and spiritual values and enhancement of mental health indices
· Regulation and arrangement of demands, prevention of inappropriate demands and permission for prescription in accordance with ranking system and clinical guidance, generic project and national drug system, efficient supervision on drug consumption, vaccination, bio products and medical equipment aiming at protecting national production and exportation expansion
· Provision of food security and just accessibility of general public to the sufficient, favorable, and healthy nutrition basket, clean water and air, public sport facilities, safe hygienic products accompanied with application of national, regional, and international standards
· Enhancement and amendment of the quality and safety of the services, unified and comprehensive attention to health regarding the issues of justice and equality, insistence on responsibility, clear information broadcasting, increase the influentiality, efficiency, and enjoyment of health and treatment services based on the ranking and referring
· Rising the quality and safety of services as well as health attention by establishment and spread of clinical ruling system and standard determination
· Rising awareness, capability and active and structured cooperation in individuals, family, and society to provide, maintain, and promote health by utilizing the capacities in various cultural and educational foundations and organizations and media in our country under the supervision of the ministry of hygiene, treatment, and medical education
· Knowing, elaborating, disseminating, developing, and internalizing Iranian traditional medicine
· Supervising traditional medicine services and herbal drugs
· Forming a logical interaction and communication between traditional and conventional (novel) medicine to enhance treatment methods and experience
· Improvement of diet in lifestyle
· Purposeful qualitative and quantitative development of educational system in medical sciences considering societal health needs, noting the significance of responsibility, training and educating efficient human work force who is committed to the Islamic values and are qualified enough in accordance with the demands in various regions in our country
· The Faculty of nursing includes two departments of nursing and EMS; the number of students admitted in both departments are presented in the following table:
An Introduction to Nursing
Nursing is a sub-discipline in health sciences that provides health attention to the society based by promoting professional knowledge and competence in the alumni. Nurses are expected to provide, maintain, and promote individual, family, and society with health in its physical, psychological, social, and spiritual dimensions.
We are here to educate the alumni who can rely on up-to-dated knowledge and skills to supply general public demands from prevention to recovery based on standards methods and instruments. This should be conducted by faith, commitment, and devotion which are required for nurses. In this regard, the curriculum of this department is devised in a way that the nurses learn to be committed to their own learning and are capable of updating their knowledge and skills constantly.
The administrative spaces of School of Nursery and Midwifery
An Introduction to the Field of Emergency Medical Services (EMS)
EMS presents services in regard to medic assistance and first aids to the injured and patients in various events and accidents and their delivery to treatment centers. The services provided by the practitioners of this field can be stressful and critical and are expected to be enabled whenever needed, that is at day and night. Therefore, the medic volunteer must be physically and psychologically strong to be able to cope with hardships of the expected services in the sea, mountains, or jungles or under the circumstances of natural disasters such as earthquake. Driving an ambulance, moving and transporting the injured and casualties or patients, first aids, informing and providing other services based on the orders of higher rank authorities are some of the services expected to be handled by the alumni of this field. For this reason, students in this filed should be ready to act under hard circumstances and form a responsible relation with patients, the injured, and their relatives.
EMS courses are specialized courses which can be presented in A.S and B.S levels. Qualified volunteers can start their occupation in medical emergencies centers only after passing the required courses, acquiring anticipated capabilities, skills, and competences, and earning the degree from credible authorized centers. The alumni are considered as members of health team who provide patients and injured people with pre-hospital services. The range of the services encompasses the whole society.
A.S. level is the first level of education in this field. The curriculum at this level is devised in accordance with scientific and Islamic ground rules. EMS education at this level aims to train professional technicians who take the benefit of the most up-to-date scientific knowledge and skills and serves as the member of health team regarding all humanistic, moral, religious, and legal dimensions.
Students are not directly admitted to study this sub-discipline as their qualifications must be also approved in a face-to-face interview. In fact, in case the volunteers have the required psychological capabilities and capacities, they earn the final admission to study in the field. They must be organized, committed, devoted, and confident enough to be capable of act under difficult circumstances. They should also be totally physically healthy, that is if they suffer from chronic or refractory diseases such as diabetes, hypertension, asthma, advanced cardiovascular disorders, renal failure, epilepsy, and psychological disorders, they cannot be admitted to educate and function in medical emergencies. It should be noted that in this field, practitioners must take the advantage of a good eye-sight, physical skills, and eloquence. In addition, the least accepted height is 170 cm for volunteers and only men are allowed to practice in this occupation. These properties are vital for easing services and assistance.
Educating qualified, skillful, and efficient human force who are committed to the Islamic and humanistic values is the objective of the curriculum in this field. The alumni can provide the injured and patients with their pre-hospital services and assistance in the shorted period of time by acquiring the essential knowledge and skills which are in parallel to the highest standards.
Our aim in A.S level is to educate skillful, efficient, and committed force who is capable of acting as a member of health team and to serve the general public in the time of need (from the time of the demand to the transference to the treatment service) as best as possible.